Thursday, August 14, 2008

City Paper Comics Issue


This week's City Paper featured 5-glorious pages of Philadelphia-grown comics which they deemed, The Comics Issue. 5 Pages? The Comics Issue? Only 5 pages of comics in The Comics Issue. What the hey! Everyone's going green, right?!

Here is a link to the comics that made it to print.

Here is a link to all of the comic submissions, including one from "Ahhhh, Phooey!"

Now, I know what you're saying. "Oh, 'Ahhhh, Phooey' is just jealous because their comic wasn't picked to be in the issue." If you are saying this, you are a jerk. A jerk that is 100% correct, but still a jerk.

Sure, we here at "Ahhhh, Phooey" are a little peeved we didn't make the cut, but then again we probably should have put some more of that stuff into making the issue. What is that stuff called again? Starts with an "e"...

Oh, right. Effort. Should have used some of that stuff.

I think the idea of a comic's issue for Philadelphia-area cartoonists is a great idea. Still...5 pages??? That's it? Just 5 pages of comics...for your Comics Issue???

3 comments:

  1. Fo real. I submitted four comics, in both black and white and color. Not one made it. I am also jealous/pissed. I'm not pissed that it was only 5 pages. I'm pissed because I didn't find the comics they picked very funny. I would prefer magnanimous defeat. Thinking, as I read the issue, Wow, These are hilarious, no wonder they were picked. I found only one of the comics laugh out loud funny. Somehow I get the feeling that paper is run by a bunch of hipsters. They passed over my highly refined poop and fart joke cartoons for this! After looking over some other funny comic submissions that weren't picked its clear those hipsters have no taste.
    There is a reason its a FREE PAPER. I certainly would never pay for it.
    feels good to vent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as taste is concerned, I don't think with any certainty that we can say these hipsters have no taste.

    First of all, what is a hipster, other than an arbitrary term for an entire generation of apathetic and self-loathing consumers that concentrate on aesthetically ironic empty symbols of fashion?

    Second of all, what is taste, other than an area-specific sociological distinction between that which is culturally acceptable and appreciated and that which is not?

    And, thirdly...

    5 PAGES?!

    FOR A COMICS ISSUE!?!?!

    ONLY 5 PAGES!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!

    You're right. Feels good to vent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is a hipster. A good question, and something I have indeed considered, as I make fun of hipsters constantly. In fact it may require its own post. In the meantime I would define a hipster as a young conformist who tries (really hard) to be non-conformist in an attempt to be cool. The ironic thing is all these wannabe non-conformists are conforming to each other, hence hipsters. This is our generations half-assed, shallow attempt at counter-culture. The truth is a real non-conformist doesn't need to be covered in tattoos and piercings, and get a ridiculous haircut to be a non-conformist.

    ReplyDelete